Tuesday 4 November 2014

Props

As my video will by all performance based, there are considerably less props than perhpas a narrative led video where extensive set dressing may be required. I hope that having less props will give me more time to focus on the camerawork and directing.
As part of this performance I will be using a guitar, to be used in the studio setting:
A guitar is used in the track that I am using, and so the visual of a guitar makes the sound diegetic. Whether or not my actor can actually play the guitar is not greatly important, as I do not plan it to be a standout feature in the video.
The image of a performer using a guitar and vocals at the same time is greatly used in both videos and live performances. It's popularity is one of the reasons why I am keen to follow this trend. The more melancholic tone in some parts of my track also seems very fitting with this.
In terms of sourcing this prop I will ask my actor if he already owns one, otherwise I will ask for permission from a music student to borrow theirs for the shoot, who already has the instrument on site.
The next prop is a piece of paper:
In fact, card may be a more durable option. Either a postcard or greetings card size would be ideal. This will be in use when shooting in the city.
There are many references to poetry, love letters, words and related things in the chosen track. There are also suggestions of being left behind. Perhaps the persona is clinging to a postcard from a loved one or writing a love letter? I wanted to portray this subtly in my video.
As the meaning of the track and these references are ambiguous I also wanted to leave this open for the audience of my own video. The paper will never be shown fully, it is merely there to represent the related mentions in the song and perhaps suggest certain back stories.
Sourcing this should not be a diffiuculty. Perhaps I could use this prop to my advantage and write the lyrics of the song on it, making it a little easier for my actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment